From today’s reading...
And the Pharisees said to him, ‘Look, why are they doing something on the Sabbath day that is forbidden?’” Mark 2:24
The “experts” can’t see the forest for the trees.
The Pharisees had lofty places in society because they knew the 613 Jewish commandments (Hebrew: תרי״ג מצוות, romanized: taryag mitzvot) or mitzvot in the Torah (also known as the Law of Moses), and patted themselves on the back for sticking to them, even when it made no sense.
Sadly, this attitude is not held only by the Pharisees of the past. Oh no. It’s alive and well today:
- “Look, why are they not wearing a mask as the CDC ordered?”
- “Look, why are they closer than six feet? It is forbidden by our governor.”
- “Look, why are they open for business? It is forbidden by our mayor.”
- “Look, why are they going to church? It is forbidden by our president.”
- “Look, why are they seeking second opinions on their medical treatment?”
- “Look, why are they not trusting an 81-year-old bureaucratic medical tyrant who has lived off the government teat for 50 years, has flip-flopped more than a catfish on a dock, and hasn’t personally treated a patient since Reagan was in office?”
Jesus stood his ground and put the Pharisees in their place. It’s time we did the same with our bureaucrats at all levels who have gotten too big for their britches, which is the only way to...
Stay the course.
Keep the faith.
Now go sell something.